There is now a Statutory Residence test which determines UK residency.

The rules are too complex to summarise here but, in very general terms, to claim non UK residency  you will probably need to be in the UK less than 91 days in a complete tax year. That number can in some cases be slightly higher or lower but if you are going to work abroad and would like a review of your circumstances please contact us.